[OpenSIPS-Users] Preparing new major release 1.7.0 - UPDATE

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at opensips.org
Fri Jun 24 15:22:40 CEST 2011

Hi Richard,

On 06/22/2011 04:36 PM, Richard Revels wrote:
> Bogdan and all,
>
> Greetings.  I have been using revision 7602 in Production and have
> found it quite stable w/ most of the functionality I need.  Everything
> else aside though, the support for an Event socket is going to be
> enough to cause me to start the update process.
This is good feedback :)

> One thing I would really like to see in a release would be a
> separation of the Dialog Timeout timer and the SIP Session Timer.  The
> Dialog ping will go a long way toward handling this problem in that
> there is less need to support session timers.  However, there are
> still times when I would like to set the dialog timeout based on some
> criteria, like credit or whatever, and at the same time allow
> endpoints to make use of the SIP Session Timer.  At the moment that
> over-rides the value I place on the Dialog Timeout.  Is the Dialog
> Timeout variable able to be modified via the management interface?  I
> don't remember.  If not, that would be neat too.
Maybe I'm missing something, but why using SST module if you are not
interested in terminating the dialog when Session Timer is up ? more or
less if you want to control the dialog lifetime by your own values, then
you have to ignore SST; if you ignore SST, why using ? AFAIK, SST on
opensips is just controlling the dialog lifetime and terminates the call
if no re-INVITE.

> I like the idea of having a beta period for a new release before it is
> declared a stable release.  It may help focus a lot of testing and
> debug over that 12 day time period that would normally drag out over a
> couple of months as people try to make time to deal with issues they
> had found "work-arounds" for.

More or less these were the arguments that made me come to this
approach: if it is not released, people are not too eager to use/test ;
if it is released, they expect to be fully stable release . So we could
not take the advantage of the community testing the code (of course,
without risks).

> Richard
>
> On Jun 21, 2011, at 5:20 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> coming back with the timing for the new 1.7 major release:
>>
>> *30th of June *- SVN freeze - at the time, all new things and known
>> bugs are to be committed into SVN and tested ; at this point the
>> testing phase will start.
>>
>> *12th of July* - release date - the 1.7 beta will be officially release.
>>

>> The list of changes for 1.7 will be fully available starting with
>> 30th of June, when SVN will be freeze.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bogdan
>>

>> On 06/08/2011 08:05 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> The plan is to put on the roll the preparing of a new major release
>>> for opensips, to incorporate all the new things that were added :
>>>     - RTP timeout notification in nathlper (via rtpproxy) with
>>> dialog termination
>>>     - better error handling for RTPproxy failover
>>>     - dialog enhancement (dialog fixing, in-dialog pinging)
>>>     - Event interface (datagram support)
>>>     - registrant module
>>>     - B2B module - internal API and DB persistence for restarts.
>>>     - presence enhancement
>>>
>>> We still have on the roll some work (to be finished in the next
>>> week) like:
>>>     - avp auto aliasing (drop the i: and s: naming)
>>>     - multi-insert in DB ops (for acc, siptrace, location).
>>>

>>> The new release will be generated from trunk and a new branch will
>>> be created for it. In the next days we will compile a detailed and
>>> complete list of new things in opensips 1.7.
>>>
>>> We also want to change a bit the release policy: after first level
>>> of testing, a beta release (release candidate) will be made public ;
>>> this code is intended to be used and tested "as final version" -
>>> eventual bugs will be fixed, opening the way for the final stable
>>> release.
>>> This is to improve the quality and stability of the stable release.
>>>
>>> I will be glad to get feedback on :
>>>     - what code/functionality is missing and should be in 1.7
>>>     - the new release policy.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Bogdan

OpenSIPS solutions and "know-how"