[OpenSIPS-Users] Unveiling the design for OpenSIPS 2.0

Stanisław Pitucha viraptor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 01:52:26 CET 2010

Hi,
I think I asked a too specific question on #vuc today, but I'm
actually interested in the answer... I've found versions <=1.6 not
very hacker-friendly. Even though the API is quite simple and you can
find many examples of usage, to test any change you have to basically
setup a test environment and replicate the traffic via either normal
phones, or sipp-like software. That's not really optimal. Even
compiling opensips with an alternative main() gives many problems when
linking.
I managed to create a patch, that I'm using to free opensips from
current limitations a little bit and test specific module
functionality on a provided message in a 100% repeatable way. (check
http://bitbucket.org/viraptor/opensips_autocheck/ if you're
interested) But that's a bit hackish solution.
Is there any plan to look at opensips 2.0 and make it more testable /
less monolithic (in any way)? I'd kill for example for a possibility
to pass a message through a specific layer / module / route without
any network interaction - just: packet in, routing decision / content
changes out. I think if would help a lot in many situations from
regression testing to verification to easier reproducing memory leaks.
Did that point... let's say, occur on any 2.0 development schedule?

--
KTHXBYE,

Stanisław Pitucha, Gradwell Voip Engineer