[OpenSIPS-Users] Unveiling the design for OpenSIPS 2.0

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Tue Mar 9 11:01:24 CET 2010

Hi Stan,

Stanisław Pitucha wrote:
> Hi,
> I think I asked a too specific question on #vuc today, but I'm
> actually interested in the answer
well, here is the right place for the questions :)
> ... I've found versions <=1.6 not
> very hacker-friendly. Even though the API is quite simple and you can
> find many examples of usage, to test any change you have to basically
> setup a test environment and replicate the traffic via either normal
> phones, or sipp-like software.
yes, that is true and I can say it from my own experience
> That's not really optimal. Even
> compiling opensips with an alternative main() gives many problems when
> linking.
> I managed to create a patch, that I'm using to free opensips from
> current limitations a little bit and test specific module
> functionality on a provided message in a 100% repeatable way. (check
> http://bitbucket.org/viraptor/opensips_autocheck/ if you're
> interested) But that's a bit hackish solution.

let me check this - but can you briefly explain what you tried to do there?
> Is there any plan to look at opensips 2.0 and make it more testable /
> less monolithic (in any way)? I'd kill for example for a possibility
> to pass a message through a specific layer / module / route without
> any network interaction - just: packet in, routing decision / content
> changes out. I think if would help a lot in many situations from
> regression testing to verification to easier reproducing memory leaks.
> Did that point... let's say, occur on any 2.0 development schedule?

I like the idea, and I would really like to do a brain storming on this,
to see what should be the right approach on this.

Right now, as working on the net/transport layer, the protocols are
defined as dynamic libs exporting some API (like function to init
socket, read, write). So, you can build a dummy proto to take messages
from files or something like that - that will make much easier to inject
a package into opensips.

www.voice-system.ro