[OpenSIPS-Users] number of opensips children

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Wed Dec 23 08:42:28 CET 2009

Hi Brian,

opensips at encambio.com wrote:
> Hello Bogdan,
>
> An ven., déc 18, 2009, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu schrieb:
>
>> there are modules creating separate processes for handling
>> additional events (like the mi_**** modules).
>>
>> To see what processes you have and what they are doing, do:
>>
>> opensipsctl fifo ps
>>

> You were right about that, what a surprise ;)
>
>   # opensipsctl fifo ps
>   Process::  ID=0 PID=24975 Type=attendant
>   Process::  ID=1 PID=24977 Type=SIP receiver udp:123.234.210.1:5060
>   Process::  ID=2 PID=24978 Type=time_keeper
>   Process::  ID=3 PID=24979 Type=timer
>   Process::  ID=4 PID=24980 Type=MI FIFO
>
> That's what I see when turning TLS and TCP off and children=1. I'm
> guessing that having five processes is the minimum possible when
> using the mi_fifo module.
>
> I don't know if the 'time_keeper' and 'timer' processes are needed
> however, and how to remove them in the configuration if they are
> unneeded.

These procs are mandatory - all timer-based actions are run by these
processes - like TM retransmissions, timeouts, etc.
> I assume that the 'attendant' does no real work other than
> coordinating the other processes, right?

yes, it is actually only supervising, not doing anything - just waits
for signalls from the other procs (if something goes wrong)
> My gut feeling is that having four UDP listening processes and four
> TCP listening processes is about right for us, because we only have
> a handful of UACs participating infrequently (5 calls per day.)

Actually that is more than needed - during some performance tests (only
simply call relaying) we managed to put 6K cps in a single process.

www.voice-system.ro