[OpenSIPS-Users] Hardware for openSIPS

Guillaume Lacroix gl at worldline.fr
Wed Sep 10 13:45:42 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am currently using openSER 1.2 and will shortly switch to openSIPS
1.4. Yet, I would like to know which hardware would best suit the new
installation.

Indeed, as far as I see on my current installation, the CPU can get
quite busy (it can jump to 60%), but the load is still quite low (always
less than 0.5). Some other stuffs are running on the server (mainly a
MySQL DB for example) and should contribute to the use of the CPU. The
current server has a Xeon 3,2 Ghz with 1 Go RAM.

I have read that memory is one of the key element for openSIPS, so I
guess I will use 2 or 4 Go on the new installation.

My question is then more specifically on the CPU : would it hurt or
improve the performances to switch to a quad or dual core CPU with a
lower frequency (less then 3 GHz - 2,66 Ghz for example) compare to the
actual installation (Xeon mono core with 3,2 GHz) ?

Thanks and regards,
Guillaume