[OpenSIPS-Devel] Location table structure - account_contact_idx

Donat Zenichev donat.zenichev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 09:35:55 EDT 2019

"That being said, to me it now definitely looks like "write-back" is best
of both worlds: all READ/WRITE operations are done in RAM, ensuring fast
signaling, while
maintenance restarts will also be pleasant, with all registrations being
carried over."

Hm.. how about the "time_interval" parameter of the usrloc module?
Usually I don't touch this, since I don't know which result this can lead
to.

>From the wiki it's a little bit not clear regarding full list of tasks
dependent on it:
"Number of seconds between two timer runs. The module uses timer to delete
expired contacts,
synchronize with database and other tasks, that need to be run
periodically."

"and other tasks, that need to be run periodically" - this part a little
bit non-clear. : )

Could you please confirm it's okay to play with "time_interval"?
So say, I change this to 10 seconds so my system has a shorter period for
syncing with the mysql db.
Would this beget any problems for other tasks of the usrloc module?

I'm terribly sorry for my annoyance, but just wanna be sure such thing
doesn't dramatically affect usrloc functionality.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 3:31 PM Liviu Chircu <liviu at opensips.org> wrote:

> Ok, it seems I was dead wrong with that.  On shutdown, "write-back" will
> do a final
> dump to DB (just like dialog), thus avoiding the sad scenario I was
> envisioning.
>
> That being said, to me it now definitely looks like "write-back" is best
> of both worlds:
> all READ/WRITE operations are done in RAM, ensuring fast signaling, while
> maintenance restarts will also be pleasant, with all registrations being
> carried over.
>
> You MAY, however, end up with some missing registrations for 1h on a
> kernel panic or
> if you pull the power cable.  However, I think these cases are more than
> acceptable :)
>
> Liviu Chircu
> OpenSIPS Developer
> http://www.opensips-solutions.com
>
> On 02.10.2019 15:20, Liviu Chircu wrote:
> > Using "write-back" can be a
> > double-edged sword because you get the WRITE performance, but unless
> > you have an
> > active-backup setup which allows you to failover and only then do your
> > maintenance
> > restarts, some portion of your phones may become unavailable for 1h
> > after you restart
> > your OpenSIPS because the "write-back" registration did not get a
> > chance to be
> > persisted to DB.

Donat Zenichev