[OpenSIPS-Users] load_balancer usage counter

Callum Guy callum.guy at x-on.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 14:27:41 UTC 2024

Hi All,

I'm implementing the load_balancer module on a very busy system where
thousands of calls may arrive in a matter of seconds. The module is
configured to receive heartbeats every 1 second from many freeswitch
servers, I have this set as a low value to try and keep OpenSIPs up to
date with the real call load, as close to real time as possible.

All servers exist in a single group "channels" to keep the initial
implementation simple. When I kick off the session I use lb_start(1,
"channels", "rs") and if that destination fails I use lb_is_started()
and lb_next() to select the next destination.

With the high call rate I'm concerned that the load values acquired 1
second ago will be used for the entirety of the following second which
would likely lead to a highly imbalanced load. If 1000 calls arrive in
that second I need them spread evenly over the freeswitch servers
which can only happen if OpenSIPs is counting each call as its
allocated.

My hope is that the module increments its counters each time a call is
allocated to a destination; however I have been unable to isolate the
line of code which performs this operation so I'm reaching out for
confirmation. I can see the module adding the dialogs to profiles and
that a separate lb_count_call() method is provided for counting calls
but I'm unclear on the exact usage although it certainly encourages me
that this counting is taking place somewhere.

Thanks for reading,

Callum

--

Find out more about the SystmOne upgrade
<https://news.x-onweb.com/news/1942-calling-all-systmone-customers--it-s>

*0333 332 0000  |  x-on.co.uk <https://www.x-on.co.uk>  | **  |
**Practice Index Reviews <https://practiceindex.co.uk/gp/x-on>*

*Our new
office address: 22 Riduna Park, Melton IP12 1QT.*

X-on
is a trading name
of X-on Health Ltd a limited company registered in
England and Wales.

Registered Office : Glebe Farm, Down Street, Dummer, Basingstoke,
Hampshire, England RG25 2AD. Company Registration No. 2578478.

The
information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s)
only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify X-on immediately
on +44(0)333 332 0000 and delete the
message from your computer. If you are
not a named addressee you must not use,
disclose, disseminate, distribute,
copy, print or reply to this email. Views
or opinions expressed by an
individual
within this email may not necessarily
reflect the views of X-on
or its associated companies. Although X-on routinely
screens for viruses,
addressees should scan this email and any attachments
for
viruses. X-on
makes no representation or warranty as to the absence of viruses
in this
email or any attachments.