[OpenSIPS-Users] Stir ans Shaken - number is not in E.164 format

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Wed Sep 6 17:21:17 UTC 2023

Buckle up! Things are going to get interesting. This is just one tiny
little example...

We have a lot of international issues when it comes to building trust and
call authentication internationally. For example, consider that STIR/SHAKEN
as we know it is built upon the US policy and governance authority and as
such certificates come from US STI-CA. What will happen internationally
with certificates and trust? Will PASSporTs all look the same? How do we
trust calls that cross borders?

PASSporT formatting is the tip of the iceberg. However for France calling,
they have their own set of standards governed by MAN. OpenSIPs modules
should certainly have a way to support them, but I would be surprised if
they do out of the box. Given how new all of this is, I'd expect we'd need
the help of someone like Mickael to help understand where the module is
lacking for France standards.

For those who are interested, i3Forum is having a talk tomorrow morning
(US) on international calling and trust which may cover some of these
issues. I am not affiliated with that group, but I'll be joining the
webinar to gather information. I'm passing the information on to you guys.

https://i3forum.org/one-consortium/

-Brett

On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 7:31 AM David Villasmil <
david.villasmil.work at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is ST/SH being used other than the US? AFAIK it only applies to US
> numbers, thus 10 digits, no?
>
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 at 14:27, Mickael Hubert <mickael at winlux.fr> wrote:
>
>> yep I found...
>>
>> if (end - start < 2 || end - start > 15)
>> return -1;
>>
>> I have to modify this code.
>> I will propose a PR.
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>> ++
>>
>> Le mer. 6 sept. 2023 à 14:25, Marcin Groszek <marcin at voipplus.net> a
>> écrit :
>>
>>> Correction : maximum of 15 digits .
>>> On 9/6/2023 7:21 AM, Marcin Groszek wrote:
>>>
>>> Your number is to long
>>>
>>> E.164 is + [1-9]  and  {1-14} digits for total of 15 digits NOT starting
>>> with 0
>>> On 9/6/2023 7:16 AM, Mickael Hubert wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have an issue, when I verify a call with no E164 format (dest:
>>> +3310200123456789)
>>>
>>> *logs:*
>>> Sep  6 13:39:48 am-scr-001 /usr/local/sbin/opensips[622409]:
>>> ERROR:stir_shaken:check_passport_phonenum: number is not in E.164 format:
>>> 3310200123456789
>>> Sep  6 13:39:48 am-scr-001 /usr/local/sbin/opensips[622409]:
>>> ERROR:stir_shaken:w_stir_verify: failed to validate Destination number
>>> (3310200123456789)
>>>
>>> *My configuration:*
>>> loadmodule "stir_shaken.so"
>>> modparam("stir_shaken", "ca_list", "/usr/local/etc/opensips/man_ca.pem")
>>> modparam("stir_shaken", "require_date_hdr", 0)