[OpenSIPS-Users] Call traffic loads and shared memory limits

John Quick john.quick at smartvox.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 11:19:09 EST 2018

Hi,

I have a user running v1.9.0 with quite high numbers of concurrent calls
(peaking at over 1500) and high call rate attempts (averaging about 100 per
second for long periods).
The amount of traffic is gradually increasing and, as it does, we are
starting to see problems with "not enough shared memory".

We just started using Nagios to graph some of the metrics. Shared memory
usage is well behaved most of the time, but it seems almost as if there is
some threshold and when the call rate goes above this threshold, the used
shared memory rapidly increases.

One simple solution might be to add more memory. If we increased from 8GB to
16GB, would OpenSIPS be able to use a large part of this? Is there a limit
for shared memory allocated when the program starts?

Would there be a major benefit in upgrading the opensips software to, say,
v2.3?

Would you expect to be hitting problems with shared memory at these traffic
more susceptible? For example, it is using topology hiding. It also has
background jobs running that send a lot of queries to the management
interface.

Thanks.

John Quick
Smartvox Limited