[OpenSIPS-Users] Scaling user location

Michael Ulitskiy mulitskiy at acedsl.com
Tue Oct 8 17:13:41 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm experimenting with opensips as registrar/proxy for larger user base and I
find that usrloc with sql backend does not scale well.
I'm using db write-back mode and postgres as sql backend. In a test I've created
about 15,000 subscribers registering every few minutes and I see opensips
pushes several thousands insert/update/delete operations to db at every timer_interval.
Since there appear to be no optimizations in db operations (no prepared statements and
no transactions) this is becoming very taxing as number of subscribers grow.
I do need to have usrloc persistency, so I looked at using berkley db, but I also need
subscribers status to be available to other applications.
This I guess leaves me the only option of using db_cachedb and some nosql storage.
I wonder what other people do to scale user location? Does somebody use db_cachedb with
nosql storage? Is it stable? Are there any other solutions/ideas?

Thanks,
Michael