[OpenSIPS-Users] Dialog timeout_avp kills call

Duane Larson duane.larson at gmail.com
Thu May 12 16:30:13 CEST 2011

Hey Anca.  Yeah it does kind of sound like a stupid question.  I guess I was
trying to resolve this issue (*dialogs* in the invalid "CONFIRMED NO ACK"
state)
http://opensips-open-sip-server.1449251.n2.nabble.com/Killing-confirmed-no-ack-dialogs-td6223926.html

The timeout_avp during the initial INVITE and then during the ACK does solve
this issue, but I was thinking that the SIP clients might send a REINVITE or
an UPDATE every X minutes to reaffirm that the call is still up or good.  I
am pretty sure from my testing that the Snom phones do send REINVITES and I
think the Cisco phones send UPDATES.  It looks like the Counterpath Bria
client and Blink don't do anything like this.  But now that I really think
about it I guess I could just raise the timeout value to something larger
than 2 hours like 5 hours or 8 hours.  I guess there aren't that many types
of phone calls that should last 5 to 8 hours.  The main thing I wanted was
the 120 second timeout in case there wasn't an ACK.

Thanks for answering back to my stupid question.

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Anca Vamanu <anca at opensips.org> wrote:

>  Hi Duane,
>
> Well, this is exactly the purpose of the timeout_avp to terminate calls
> after the period defined there. But, if you don't want the calls to actually
> be ended after 2 hours, why don't you set it to a larger value?

> Anca Vamanu
> OpenSIPS Developer
>

> On 05/10/2011 08:00 PM, duane.larson at gmail.com wrote:
>
> I've got timeout_avp set up so that during the INVITE I set the timeout_avp
> to 120 seconds and during the ACK I set it to 7200 seconds. This seems to
> work for the Snom phones but I was testing a long call with the Blink client
> and after 2 hours the call is taken down. I am thinking this is because with
> the Snom phones the caller sends a Re-INVITE every 30 minutes and that
> resets the timeout_avp to 7200 seconds again. Should Blink be sending a
> Re-INVITE also? I want to be sure that my phone calls aren't being broken
> down after 2 hours.

Duane