[OpenSIPS-Users] B2BUA and SBC - Best practice

Carlo Dimaggio jaasmailing at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 15:37:35 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm designing a new VoIP platform in which transcoding and prepaid
features must be provided.
One essential component of the architecture will be a b2bua, but I'm
wondering about where it should be deployed. In detail, I'm thinking
about a "standard" architecture (opensips + mediaproxy) with a b2bua
(freeswitch) used for media transcoding, prepaid, topology hiding and
media services.
What is the best practice in this case? I could design the architecture
in two ways:

1)
         Users            Providers/PSTN
             ||                      ||
         Opensips/Mediaproxy <==> B2BUA

         (here opensips/mediaproxy+B2BUA acts as a whole SBC)

2)
         Users            Providers/PSTN
             ||                        ||
                     B2BUA
             Opensips/Mediaproxy

             (here the B2BUA should works also as SBC and could do
protocol interworking (es h323) but which component should
authenticate/authorize the users? I would like to handle all subscribers
just in opensips)

If I use a b2bua for all sessions, do I still require a media proxy for
nat traversal?

Thanks for your hints.

Best Regards,
Carlo Dimaggio