[OpenSIPS-Users] Upgrade version problems in a production system (mediaproxy)

Carlo Dimaggio jaasmailing at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 09:05:38 CEST 2009

Il giorno 24/lug/09, alle ore 17:49, Adrian Georgescu ha scritto:

> Carlo,
>
> We use only Debian development branch both for the development of
> our software and for our deployments. If you use Debian unstable you
> are the safest as we are testing and using our packages only this
> environment.
>
> While the name 'stable' brings some confidence for the
> inexperienced, in practice when it comes to bleeding edge
> developments like we do, the stable version can become obsolete fast
> and you could be stuck by running it because of the dependencies
> that do not make it to the stable branch as soon as we develop our
> software. When things do not work you will hear the same story "your
> distribution is too old" to run this software.
>
> So the most stable distribution is unstable.

Hi Adrian,

I don't have strong knowledge about "pure" debian, until now I used
Ubuntu and RH-based systems... but I knew that in production systems
the unstable/testing isn't a good choice because of possible different
bugs due to not much testing of the new packages.
All people tell me that is a risk using a debian unstable... (also
this faq http://wooledge.org/~greg/sidfaq.html).

My question is: can I use a debian unstable in production "mission-
critical" telephony systems?
Now, with these statements, my choice is: use a debian unstable or use
an ubuntu system without the possibility to upgrade mediaproxy (and in
future, other ag-projects softwares)...

How other people keep their not-debian systems updated?

Thanks and regards,
Carlo