[OpenSIPS-Users] Is opensips a front end to asterisk?

Jeff Pyle jpyle at fidelityvoice.com
Thu Jul 9 23:29:23 CEST 2009

I¹ll second that.  I¹m fairly new to Opensips, but not to SIP and definitely
not to Asterisk.  As I started to realize the limitations of Asterisk I
looked for something a bit more powerful and flexible.  I started reading
some of the module documentation to get an idea what Opensips (Openser at
the time) was capable of.  It referenced a lot of things I didn¹t
understand.  So, I ended up at RFC3261.  It was invaluable to me to
understand exactly what a proxy, uas, uac, and a few other key terms meant.
And what their specific functions were in a SIP environment.  I¹m far from
an expert but I¹ve learned a lot.  It has really helped me understand what a
proxy¹s role is, and also what a proxy¹s role isn¹t.  Opensips is a proxy,
after all.

- Jeff