[OpenSIPS-Users] Contents of ACK in up-to-date RFC 3261

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Thu Jan 22 08:40:58 CET 2009

Hi Robert,

Robert Borz wrote:
> Just had a look at RFC 3261... 269 pages... well, looks for a hard work for one day... but it isn't written to understand and answer my dumb questions within one or two hours. ;)

indeed, the RFC3261 is like a novel :).....
> So, just want to know which contents in an ACK message are allowed in which case...
>
> Especially, I'm interested in which contents in an ACK are allowed in a response to a 200 OK (after INVITE)... is the Proxy-Authorization header field allowed in an ACK as response to a 200 OK of an INVITE?

yes, it is optional - see the RFC3261, section 20.1 , page 163 - Table 3
> Maybe someone read my previous two mails, I'm a little confused right now...
>
> I detected different behaviour between different UACs, which is nothing unusual for me (I'm just a developer, too).
>
> X-Lite for example includes the digest-credentials in an ACK packet in the Proxy-Authorization header field, whereas the snom-softphone does not.
> The Ekige softphone for windows also includes the Proxy-Authorization header field.
>
> So, which behaviour is standard? It would be great to get any help from you... just to spare the time reading the whole RFC... :-(

well, all are correct, as the header presence in the ACK request is
optional....

My understanding on the RFC (on the auth matter) is that if the INVITE
has an "Proxy-Authorization" headers, the ACK should also contain
one...but it is not a must, it is a recommendation. The idea is, if the
proxy asked for auth for INVITE, it might ask for the ACK also....but as
you cannot challenge the ACK, the client should pre-fill the auth in ACK.