[OpenSIPS-Users] opensips-cp CDR correlation

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu Apr 30 16:45:02 CEST 2009

On Thursday 30 April 2009, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> >> Also, for calls to a gateway in our same datacenter, forcing the RTP
> >> through a media-proxy is not the only solution. Using SessionTimers
> >> (so a B2BUA is required and not just a proxy) is also a good solution
> >> (and cheaper since no servers are needed for relaying the media).
> >
> > That is not actually accurate.
>
> Why not?

I explained below.

> > No _new_ servers are needed, as in you can
> > reuse any existing server for this purpose. Nowadays mediaproxy is
very
> > efficient because it uses conntrack rules in the kernel to forward the
> > packets. It does forward hundreds of media streams with virtually no
load
> > on the CPU,
>
> And if I need thousands of media streams? wouldn't I need more servers?

I don't think you would. Mediaproxy will most likely max out your network
capacity before needing another server (at least with the right hardware).

Also you seem to forget that your "cheaper" solution still needs an extra
box as well (the B2BUA). Unless by cheap you mean something else than less
servers. As for the network traffic we already established it'll be the
same. The difference is that the media relay will give you accuracy to the
second, while the B2BUA will not.

--
Dan