[OpenSIPS-Users] Removing a VIA line required by Telco.

David Gilbert openser at dclg.ca
Mon Apr 20 22:20:13 CEST 2009

Jeff Pyle wrote:
> David,
>
> Opensips is a proxy.  A proxy's role is dictated by RFC3261.  It's fast,
> lightweight, very scalable, and has some very nice features you're already
> taking advantages of.  But, it's still only a proxy.  A proxy needs Via
> lines.  Period.  To otherwise manipulate the traffic or keep state in other
> ways turns it into something it's not.

OK.  I understand.  I was looking for a hack.  I was hoping to keep the
current setup, but I can munge an asterisk solution for it.
> Iñaki's right.  You need to find a new telco.  The fact they don't permit
> proxies illustrates they really don't understand what they're getting into
> with SIP, and sooner or later you're going to encounter something they can't
> fix.  Or, if they do know what they're doing, their business model is
> certainly not friendly towards your goals.  But that's a discussion for
> another place and time.

Well... what telco to use is a business decision.  In the end, there is
a technical solution (however suboptimal), so the technical can't claim
to trump the business.  In the end, our systems run lean enough that no
combination of requirements from the telco could make our systems more
expensive than the difference between this telco and the next more
expensive.  Sigh.
> One fact remains -- you will not be able to use any proxy as you're looking
> to with your current telco
Hrm.  But a cool hack would be nice.