[OpenSIPS-Users] Need Suggestion on Large Setup

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Aug 14 09:53:41 CEST 2008

This question mainly hinges on whether the topology and configuration of
your providers allows you to get away with not using a B2BUA.

In other words, do you *need* a B2BUA?  Or can you get away with having
customers pass media and signaling (except in NAT cases) directly to
your service provider, because their signaling gateways and media
gateway farms are publicly exposed?

There are also interop issues;  because with a proxy, technically the
provider's equipment is interoperating with whatever's behind the proxy
(i.e. customer CPE), some may not like that idea.

There are various situations in which a B2BUA is necessary and you can't
get away with just using a proxy, but most of the time they all
fundamentally have to do with whether the endpoints of the calls have
comprehensive access to each other.  The applicability of that is
something that only you can determine.