[OpenSIPS-Devel] About performance bottleneck in 1.X

Vlad Paiu vladpaiu at opensips.org
Fri Jul 8 16:41:21 CEST 2011

Hello,

See my responses in-line.

On 07/08/2011 10:13 AM, dongwflj wrote:
> Hi:
> I am not sure if here is the right place to ask, I just read why need
> 2.0 design page, and as below said:
>
> The *issues* that the new design tries to solve are:
>
>     * *I/O blocking* (transport, DB, applications)
>     * *scaling with the hardware* resources (I/O and parallel
>       processing sync is a bottleneck with the current design)
>
> So could anyone share more detail scenario about I/O blocking and
> parallel processing sync? How much performance downgrade due to these
> bottleneck in 1.X version?

The performance downgrade depends very much on the configuration file.
The more functionality that you integrate ( like accounting to DB, etc )
that need to block for I/O, the bigger the performance downgrade. There
have been some tests done that show what is the performance penalty you
get when using various OpenSIPS features like dialog support, DB
authentication, DB accounting. See [1]

> As my understanding, server have multiple processes to handle parallel
> incoming messages, the DB operation will block a process's work
> stream, but how about transport and application as mentioned above,
> how it can block the work stream?
>
> Best Regards
> Ewen

For transport, TCP can block. If the TCP stack buffers get filled up, an
attempt to send a message via TCP will block until there is enough
space. DNS will also block SIP processing, Radius communication will do
the same.

[1] http://www.opensips.org/Resources/StressTests

Vlad Paiu
OpenSIPS Developer