[OpenSIPS-Devel] [OpenSIPS-Users] [website] Documentation re-structuring

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Tue Mar 3 16:18:20 CET 2009

Speaking as a user here...
I don't reference the READMEs in the modules themselves very often. However,
I hit the website documentation several times a day.

Although I like the whole concept of SGML in SVN producing such
pretty,repeatable formating in your  documentation, I don't know that it's
really necessary. And that kind of structure is preventing users from adding
comments that may otherwise keep you from having to answer the same question
over and over. :)

I personally wouldn't mind just seeing the docs in wiki format 100%. With
proper CSS, it'd look identical, right? However, there is the issue of
module version I'm not sure how to deal with. For example, I may have a
question about USAGE of a module in 1.4 version and a specific example may
get posted to the wiki. But it may only be applicable in 1.4. On the other
hand, an example may be applicable to newer versions as well (like if an
exported function changes the number of accepted parameters).

As for each function on it's own page. That may solve some of this problem..
But at the same time, I'd probably be good to be able to generate the whole
thing as well (the whole module). I don't really care as long as it's nicely
hyperlinked.

Of course, on the commenting, there should be the ability to be notified of
updates. I'm not sure if this deserves a full blown own forum.. ultimately
that would be good.. so lets say under the dialog module, the
set_dlg_profile() function, someone may post a thread like "How to set a
profile from an avp value" and there may be a whole discussion. I may choose
to get updates to just that discussion (on just that module).

In the typical wiki sense as well, there should be a way to watch pages for
edits and to be notified.

That's my $0.04. I don't know how you have time to deal with any of this
anyway. :) Thanks for all your hard work.

-Brett