[OpenSIPS-Devel] New OpenSIPS design and load balancing

Aron Rosenberg arosenberg at sightspeed.com
Mon Nov 10 20:08:37 CET 2008

We have been doing a lot of R+D work on making OpenSIPS work in a Load
Balancer environment and some of the issues that we are facing would be
interesting to design into the new core.

The usage of Shared Memory to cache data in various modules makes it
difficult to scale these modules to run on several physically separate
nodes. We have contemplated using DB only mode, but the performance of
this is subpar and rapidly becomes a DB scaling issue.

One of the items that might be interesting to think about would be a new
class of memory/object storage that I will call "Global Memory". Global
Memory could be a key/value storage system for data which modules need
to create/access/modify/update that is Dialog level rather than
transactional level. Global Memory could be backed by something like
memcached.

Most modules that build internal caching lists from shared memory could
be converted to this new system. Usrloc, registrar, presence.

Shared memory would then be used for single node only processing such as
transactional memory, or local copies of module data that does not
change. The load balancers that we are working with provide node level
SIP transaction persistence.

-Aron

Aron Rosenberg
SightSpeed Inc.