[OpenSIPS-Devel] [ opensips-Patches-2351140 ] [nat_traversal] Making OPTIONS/NOTIFY lighter

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 5 17:53:51 CET 2008

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by dan_pascu
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=1086412&aid=2351140&group_id=232389

Initial Comment:
I attach a patch that makes NOTIFY/OPTIONS sent by "send_keepalive()" function lighter. Basically I use short header names and make shorter the Call-Id.

The original message has ~ 252 chars.
The modified message has ~ 198 chars.

Not too much anyway. I wonder if the server_IP could also be replaced in From and To headers, and use "nat" as hostpart or whatever.

Date: 2008-12-05 18:53

Message:
The gain doesn't justify the loss of readability. You only gain about 20
bytes from the short header names which is less than 10%. For 20000
endpoints to keepalive and a ping interval of 90 seconds you will get
400kbps instead of 434kbps. That difference doesn't justify the loss of
readability IMO.

Comment By: Bogdan-Andrei Iancu (bogdan_iancu)
Date: 2008-12-04 14:39

Message:
Dan,

maybe re-using the short naming of the headers (without changing the
callid) will spare some bandwidth - if you consider the amount of pings and
how often you do it.

Comment By: Dan (dan_pascu)
Date: 2008-11-27 10:52

Message:
The gain is size is minimal and doesn't justity the loss of readability.
Plus by changing the way you build the call-id you made it impossible for
it to identify the replies.

Comment By: Iñaki Baz (ibc_sf)