[OpenSIPS-Devel] Hang due to "no more nonces can be generated"

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Tue Dec 2 13:44:39 CET 2008

Dan Pascu wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Alistair Cunningham wrote:
>> I've since set the following in config.h:
>>
>> #define PKG_MEM_POOL_SIZE 10*1024*1024
>>
>> and this problem has gone away (opensipsctl online produces 1793 lines
>> of output), but it's unclear whether this will help with the nonce
>> problem (I'm thinking probably not). In any case, may we please have
>> either a config file option or a command line option to set
>> PKG_MEM_POOL_SIZE without needing to patch the source code?
>
> This will not fix your problem (though it may be useful to be able to set
> it at run time). The issue is not that there is not enough memory, the
> issue is fragmentation. If you use a command as ul_dump which allocates a
> huge amount of small chunks, after they are released the memory is so
> fragmented, that it's not able to allocate even 2kb, even though the pool
> it's almost completely available.

Dan,

Thank you for the feedback. It does seem to cure it in the short term,
but maybe it just delays the build-up of fragmentation. In any case,
this is much less urgent than the nonce problem, which is effectively
hanging OpenSIPS for all SIP packets.

Alistair Cunningham
+1 888 468 3111
+44 20 799 39 799