[OpenSIPS-Users] [WG-IMS] Scope of IMS in OpenSIPS - RFC

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 09:11:51 UTC 2023

First of all:
CONGRATULATIONS to the OpenSIPS community !!!
(I believe this is the first step of a long and satisfying journey)

On the topic:
in addition to the CSCF component, I would like to see efforts on the AS
(Application Server) component of the IMS infrastructure.

The AS is probably way the simplest of it all, it will probably require the
least modifications/additions to OpenSIPS.

But I would say AS will be crucial to a lot of people/use cases.

While for sure there will be a lot of cases for our community to build the
voice/video complete IMS infrastructure on top of private 5G networks in
enterprises and public administrations, I see as very much relevant also
the use case of building infrastructure to provide additional third party
services to big carriers, and to big carriers partners.

Also, AS is the correct and manageable way to provide additional services
even if you build the core IMS infrastructure.

About HSS: this is the sancta sanctorum of a carrier/provider
Apart from the venerable fraunhofer java implementation, now we can count
on the flexible java implementation in
https://github.com/nickvsnetworking/pyhss with a lot of features, good
performances, and actually built for production.

I would say better we concentrate on accessing the various different
protocols of HSS (diameter/http2) from the various components (each
component in IMS access HSS with a different interface with
different vocabularies and actions.

MGCF/MGW, if needed, will be a natural extension of our CSCF/AS
architecture.

Just my two cents, to keep the ball rolling,

Congratulation again,

-giovanni

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 2:02 PM Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at opensips.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> (disclaimer : cross lists posting is not a good practice - we will do this
> only to catch the attention and get momentum with this initial topic)
>
> As a first step here, is to work out the scope of the IMS implementation
> in OpenSIPS. IMS is a vast concept, with SIP and non-SIP components, and we
> want to understand and agree on which components of IMS may be subject of
> work from the OpenSIPS perspective. For example, we do consider the CSCF as
> a must here, but we may explore the HSS, AS, MGW or other components.
>
> From the OpenSIPS perspective, we look for IMS components which are SIP
> related. At least as a starting point. So, the first obvious candidate is
> the *Call Session Control Function (CSCF)*. And here we need to look into
> and address the specific functionalities of each sub-component:
>     * P-CSCF
>     * I-CSCF
>     * S-CSCF
>
> Again, these are the pretty obvious components, still may look into and
> evaluate (if of an interest of the OpenSIPS IMS implementation) areas as:
>     * HSS (from interconnection perspective)
>     * MGCF / MGW  (from interconnection perspective)
>     * SIP AS
>     * others ?
>
> Any feedback (with explanations and arguments) about what we should
> consider for our IMS implementation is more the welcome. I set here just a
> simple starting point, with no limitations or so. Feel free to contribute
> to the topic
>

> Best regards,
>
> --
> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu