[OpenSIPS-Users] Learning about resource lists

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Wed Nov 22 12:01:30 UTC 2023

Hi Bogdan,

My two cents. The reality is that adoption of XCAP is practically zero. Even if you build a client, you cannot make it interoperable with another, and XCAP was suppose to be interoperable. If I build a buddy list on one client and I cannot load it in another client, it makes no sense.

I think that anyone building a SIP app that needs to store/fetch data on the SIP server can better do it using PUT/GET with a JSON, for example we took this path for Sylk client rather than implementing XCAP again. This is not interoperable between different clients, but there is no replacement standard for XCAP either and is much cheaper and more reliable to do it like this.

As far as OpenSIPS is concerned one can probably make a new module or better, modify that existing RLS module so that it can read contacts directly from a database table with a schema that can be defined by the user. In the end what one needs is a list of URIs and a flag to see who is granted to see your presence, is a very simple database model.

—
Adrian