[OpenSIPS-Users] store data locally

Liviu Chircu liviu at opensips.org
Wed Sep 23 05:54:57 EST 2020

On 22.09.2020 18:42, Ovidiu Sas wrote:
> If you don't want to run a full blown db, then you can use db_text
> without cacheDB.
> The data is cached into memory at startup. If you update the text
> file, you can re-cache the data [1].

Hi, Ovidiu!

May I segue into discussing some questions that have been puzzling me
for a while now?

     "In 2020, why should developers choose DB TEXT over DB SQLITE?
Shouldn't DB TEXT be obsoleted?"

As far as history goes, it seems DB TEXT was created by Daniel in 2003.
Which, in my opinion, even for that time, it seems like a "reinvent the
wheel" kind of effort, since SQLite had already been GA'ed for almost 3
years [1].

In order to come up with an answer, we can break down my original questions:

* DB TEXT and SQLite both aim to be lightweight, serverless, file-based
SQL databases with RAM caching.  True or false?
* does DB TEXT have any features that SQLite doesn't?
* does DB TEXT support a richer SQL syntax than SQLite?
* does DB TEXT have less bugs than SQLite?
* does DB TEXT handle in-memory caching better than SQLite?
* does DB TEXT handle disk files better than SQLite?

Thank you in advance for the discussion!

Best regards,

[1]: https://sqlite.org/changes.html

--
Liviu Chircu