[OpenSIPS-Users] Nathelper - will not send SIP OPTIONS pings

Adrian Fretwell adrian.fretwell at topgreen.co.uk
Tue Jun 23 10:35:57 EST 2020

Hello All,

Opensips v3.0.

I have a simple routing script that implements a mid-registrar. All of
the endpoints are behind NAT so I need the proxy to send keep alive pings.

I have the nathelper module loaded with the following configuration:

/* --- Module NATHELPER ---------------

  NAT traversal helper module
  ------------------------------------*/
loadmodule "nathelper.so"
modparam("nathelper", "natping_interval", 30)
modparam("nathelper", "ping_nated_only", 0)
modparam("nathelper", "sipping_method", "OPTIONS")
modparam("nathelper", "sipping_bflag", "SIPPING_ENABLE")
modparam("nathelper", "sipping_from", "sip:pinger at mrp1.xxxx.uk")
modparam("nathelper", "received_avp", "$avp(received_nh)")
modparam("nathelper", "ping_threshold", 5)
modparam("nathelper", "max_pings_lost", 3)
modparam("nathelper", "natping_partitions", 4)
modparam("nathelper", "remove_on_timeout_bflag", "SIPPING_RTO")
modparam("nathelper", "natping_tcp", 1)

The nathelper module is sending the 4 byte UDP packets (verified by
packet capture), but I cannot get it to send SIP OPTIONS pings.

According to paragraph 1.2 (NAT pinging types), there are two types, UDP
package and SIP request.  I cannot work out how to make it use SIP request.

I assume that I do need SIP OPTIONS pings for the removal_on_timeout to
work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Kind regards,

Adrian Fretwell
Sibthorpe
Nottinghamshire