[OpenSIPS-Users] Opensips debug logging performance impact

Liviu Chircu liviu at opensips.org
Tue May 15 02:03:40 EDT 2018

Hi Rajesh,

The only overhead added by "log_level = 4" are the extra logs
themselves. And, yes, DEBUG mode is quite verbose and could lead to a
lot of output, easily filling up entire GB within just a few hours.

As with all such questions, the only correct answer is: "it depends".
For example:

* are you logging to an SSD?
* how many CPS do you throw at OpenSIPS?
* how much scripting logic do you have?
* have you enabled async logging in your syslog OpenSIPS log?
* are there any other applications which are heavily logging to the same
device?

You should perform some tests before enabling "log_level = 4" on a
CPS-heavy OpenSIPS deployment. The best advice is to monitor the
"Recv-Q" field of "netstat -tlnp" for your OpenSIPS TCP listeners, and
check if SIP messages are either piling up or getting processed
immediately as they arrive.

Best regards,

Liviu Chircu
OpenSIPS Developer