[OpenSIPS-Users] Source port changing during a transaction

Liviu Chircu liviu at opensips.org
Thu Jun 28 09:19:13 EDT 2018

Hi John,

According to RFC 3261§ 18.1.1:

    For unreliable unicast transports, the client transport MUST be
    prepared to receive responses on the source IP address from which the
    request is sent (as responses are sent back to the source address)
    and the port number in the "sent-by" field.  Furthermore, as with
    reliable transports, in certain cases the response will be sent
    elsewhere.  The client MUST be prepared to receive responses on any
    address and port that would be selected by a server based on the
    procedures described in Section 5 of [4].

Here is a possible scenario which mandates the above:

Suppose, by absurd, that there is an added 600 ms UDP delay between your UAC
and its proxy.  This will lead to two INVITEs: one from source port 59500,
and a retransmission from source port 5062 (which is now the only "real"
accepted return port from the UAC's perspective).  Next, suppose UDP
INVITE #2
gets lost on the way, along with any additional 5 retransmissions, and
OpenSIPS never
gets a chance to learn about source port 5062.  It will naturally respond to
source port 59500, along with pushing all other UDP replies to it.  A port
which has already been invalidated by some unknown reason -- the proxy
cannot
do anything to help the UA in this case.  It's completely their fault.

Best regards,

Liviu Chircu
OpenSIPS Developer
http://www.opensips-solutions.com