[OpenSIPS-Users] mid registrar

Liviu Chircu liviu at opensips.org
Fri Jun 8 05:34:30 EDT 2018

First of all: mid-registrar + clustering is still uncharted territory, I
haven't done any testing yet with this setup.

Disclaimer aside, this setup should somewhat work:

* [CORRECT] mid-registrar saved contacts should propagate through the
cluster just like with registrar. They will contain the short lifetime
of the UAC side, not the longer lifetime shown to the backend registrar
* [CORRECT] throttled contact updates should propagate through the
cluster just like with registrar (although we absorb the REGISTER, we
instruct other nodes to update their cache, so they don't delete the
contact prematurely)
* [INCORRECT] the mid-registrar semantics (specific fields) are not
getting replicated to other nodes. If you fail over to another
mid-registrar within the cluster, you won't be able to throttle contacts
anymore. In fact, you should see something like:

ERROR:'last_reg_ts' key not found!

, and the handling for the "inherited" REGISTER traffic would completely
fail.

To sum up: this setup should "kinda" work, but it's not going to be
fully useful unless we fix it. Replicating the "kv_store" should not be
complicated at all (actually, it seems to be a 50-line patch at most),
but it will require the usual bit of testing / fiddling around until all
corner-cases are covered.

We've not had requests for this feature up until now, but I've logged it
on GitHub, so we can start a discussion [1]

Best regards,

[1]: https://github.com/OpenSIPS/opensips/issues/1379

Liviu Chircu
OpenSIPS Developer