[OpenSIPS-Users] Strange behavior on ipv4 / ipv6 dual stack server with/without mhomed

Daniel Lakeland dlakelan at street-artists.org
Tue Oct 24 15:58:11 EDT 2017

On 10/24/2017 01:41 AM, Răzvan Crainea wrote:
> Hi, Daniel!
>
> Sure, if you want to make a dual-stack tutorial for OpenSIPS, I'd be
> more than welcome to review it.
> In the meantime, let us know if we can help you making it more robust.

Here are the current issues I'm considering:

1) How to deal with ipv4 only endpoints, ones that think that a
destination uri like sip:foo@[2001:1a36:2021:...]:5060 means that the
destination refers to user foo at host "[2001" on port 1 and yes this
seems to happen.

The current strategy I have because my total endpoint count is small, is
to list those endpoints by username in the script and detect when $ru
has that username, and do topology hiding... this works pretty well I
think, but it also requires SDP rewriting in case of IP type mismatch
(fortunately, Asterisk seems to listen on ipv4 and ipv6 udp sockets).
The general solution might be to first do a lookup, and then based on
whether $ru is now an IPv4 address or not, decide whether to topology
hide. My assumption is that ipv6 registered endpoints can handle both.

The issue is that when ipv6 is available, systems prefer it, and this
makes sense. So, when Asterisk has to originate a call, it calls the
proxy and the proxy is dual-stacked, so it calls via ipv6 and offers its
own ipv6 as contact and SDP contents. Without topology hiding, the proxy
passes this contact along to the ipv4 only ATA and the whole thing goes
kablooie when the ATA can't figure out what Asterisk is talking about.

Also, these are ipv4 endpoints, and so they need some NAT help. The
combination of topo hiding and NAT help can be an issue. But I think at
the moment it's working, nevertheless, it's something I need to sit down
with and read through the script and see what the right way to do it is,
rather than the hackery I have in place.

When the call originates at one of these ipv4 only endpoints, it seems
that Asterisk then creates replies that are ipv4 and so the problem
doesn't occur.

2) Getting audio across ipv4/ipv6 transitions is tricky. I'm using
Asterisk, though my ultimate goal is to switch to FreeSwitch as my
impression is it might work better for me. At the moment, Asterisk works
because I enable icesupport, and so it listens on ipv4 and ipv6. I don't
enable ICE negotiation on my endpoints, I just have OpenSips rewrite the
SDP to the appropriate one based on whether they're ipv4 or not. I do
this because ICE support is spotty and the ATAs can't do it, and the
softphones don't need it. But it's possible that ICE offerings are not
working with my outbound trunks.... sporadically (based on which carrier
my outbound trunk chooses in their least cost routing). So, for outbound
calls on the trunk, it's possible I need to remove ICE support... since
it's not needed there as their endpoints are IPv4 only, this may be
fine, but still it's a gotcha people should know about. It's not clear
to me whether Asterisk is being nice and other media servers might
refuse to simply accept input on any socket without a proper ICE
negotiation. In my opinion, ICE is dead in the water as first off it's
only needed in ipv4, but second there are too many ipv4 ATAs and things
that don't support it, and finally it's a temporary hack that will go
away some time late in 2019 when google's ipv6 adoption curve hits more
than 50% https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html that's
doubling every 15 months or something like that, so we'll probably see
40% ipv6 hits by some time early 2019 and the majority of everything
google does will be ipv6 sometime mid 2019 (note in the US we're already
at about 33% ipv6 to google). At that point ipv4 will be a minority
issue for consumers, and incentives to make major changes will switch sides.