[OpenSIPS-Users] multiple interfaces + load_balancer probing and mhomed=0

Jennifer Hashimoto jennifer.hashimoto at caztel.com
Thu May 11 14:28:35 EDT 2017

Hello,
I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I have an opensips 2.2.2 server that has 3 interfaces listening on debian

Debian has 2 default routes in 2 different routing tables such as is described here https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Two_Default_Gateways_on_One_System <https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Two_Default_Gateways_on_One_System>

I have put mhomed=0 as I do not need to route from one interface to another - and if i enable mhomed it does not work.
With mhomed off, it sends the reply out the same interface that it came in as I want.
With mhomed on it seems to look into the default routing table and find a route, then decide which interface to used based on that - it does not use the ip rules to figure out which routing table it should use (ie. ip rule and then ip route list table rt2)

The reason for all this madness is i have 2 separate internet feeds going through 2 separate routers. If a call comes in one of the routers, I want to send it back to the same router and to it’s internet feed. (so that we have symmetrical routing and nat etc works also so we can maintain redundancy in case one feed goes down)

My issue is that while everything works great with mhomed off, load_balancer pinging seems to randomly decide which interface to use, even if i specify a from address.
modparam("load_balancer", "probing_from", “sip:pinger at 10.10.10.10")

The from address is always correctly populated when I look at the SIP message , but the source_ip varies. sometimes it is the ip of the from address, and sometimes it is another ip on the box. The IP it chooses is not always routable by the destination so it disables the destination.

Is there a way to specify which interface/ip i want it to probe from?

(when i put mhomed=1 probing works, but then actually sending traffic doesn’t work as it only looks in the default routing table for a route to determine which interface to use.)

Thanks,

Jennifer Akemi