[OpenSIPS-Users] Fraud_detection module

Liviu Chircu liviu at opensips.org
Mon Nov 14 10:34:58 CET 2016

Hi, Denis!

First of all, thank you for taking the time to gather this nice data!
Looking at the calls, to me it looks like the module behaved as
expected. Here are some thoughts:

- all call durations were less under 1500 seconds, while your fraud rule
is set to 3600 seconds, so it never got triggered.

- the "calls-per-minute" rule worked! Your rule was set to max 6 cpm,
thus calls #7 - #9 to prefix "810" were considered fraudulent (at
01:41), as the caller was starting to exceed this quota. The proper
critical warnings were raised, calls blocked, emails sent.

- the attacker now _learned_ about your 6 cpm limitation and _lowered_
his cpm to 3 during the following 10 hours (until 11:08), thus bypassing
the cpm rate limiting, managing to place 21 fraudulent calls.

It seems like the 21 successful fraudulent calls between 03:06 - 11:08
could _maybe_ have been avoided by setting a better value for
"sequential-calls". This is a bit tricky though, as we also don't want
to block calls of honest users because of false positives.

Regards,

Liviu Chircu
OpenSIPS Developer
http://www.opensips-solutions.com