[OpenSIPS-Users] Request Timeout on INVITE After Idle Registration

Nabeel nabeelshikder at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 15:55:55 CET 2016

Hello,

I have an SIP client which works fine during the first 15-20 minutes of
registration.  Registration has an expiry of 24 hours, but after
approximately 15-20 minutes of idle registration, attempts to call the
other phone fails with '408 Request Timeout' error.  Re-registering the
caller's phone makes no improvement to this, but re-registering the
callee's phone allows the calls to go through for another 15-20 minutes.

I understand that Request Timeout can be initiated by either the client or
the server.  The know that the possible reasons are:

1) The callee/endpoint to be reached is somehow set on passive mode and not
responding to any call

2) The server does not get proper information about the location info of
the endpoint after query.

And in the server logs, I only see this:

ACC: call missed:
timestamp=1445625568;method=INVITE;from_tag=z9hG4bK58506340;to_tag=;call_id=879087082370 at 2a04:4a41:111:cf09::1d92:e0ac%4;code=408;reason=Request
Timeout

However, I am unsure how to troubleshoot this further and how to go about
determining the exact cause.  Any advice or tips would be very helpful.