[OpenSIPS-Users] How to set default_timeout for dialogs, without resetting OpenSIPS ? (continuing...)

Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho pimenta at inatel.br
Mon Sep 28 16:51:11 CEST 2015

Hi Bogdan.

I have just finished studying about some parts of OpenSIPS documentation, mainly about the modules.

I saw that it is possible to take control of call duration using Call Control,which is too complex to my simple needings as my projetct doesn't need a charging system, or using DLG_timeout as you well pointed.

So, in my OpenSIPS script I should do something like this:

        # account only INVITEs
        if (is_method("INVITE")) {

                # create dialog with timeout
                if ( !create_dialog("B") ) {
                        send_reply("500","Internal Server Error");
                        exit;
                }

                $DLG_timeout = <some variable with amount of seconds>;

        }

However the final user is the one who must define how long a call can exist. Such configuration will be done via a proprietary GUI in my project, any time.

So, I was looking for a way to set  'some variable with amount of seconds' and pass it to OpenSIPS, before starting calls. That is, how can OpenSIPS read a external variable or how to write DLG_timout via MI ? I didn't find a solution.

Then, my development team has decided to put a new field (X-Timeout) in the SIP INVITE header, configuring it with the desired amount of seconds.

So, in the OpenSIPS script we could read the value from X-Timeout and set it to the DLG_timeout.

What do you think about this approach? Is it simple to read a header field from SIP INVITE, isn't it? I will take a look in the documentation.

Any hint or suggestion will be  very helpful!!

Thanks a lot!

RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO
Inatel Competence Center
Software