[OpenSIPS-Users] force_tcp_alias default behavior seems wrong – should not use port from Via-header

Jonas Borjesson jonas at twilio.com
Thu Sep 24 16:52:13 CEST 2015

Hi,

The exact details is as follows:

The client will establish a TLS connection, which is terminated by
opensips. The client will then send an OPTIONS and from the 200
response will learn about its external, to opensips, IP and port
through the received and rport from the Via-header. It will then issue
a REGISTER using the same connection and populate that REGISTER with
the information it learned from the OPTIONS. I agree that this is not
really per any spec but in general, this is really the very same as
issuing an initial REGISTER (which it will get wrong), examine the Via
in that response and re-register with the correct Contact based off of
that info. Now, this particular client has currently two issues, which
I'm having them fix:

1. They “forgot” to use the rport value in the Via from the response
to the OPTIONS as the port in their Contact of the REGISTER. Hence,
they essentially will register with Contact: <public_ip>:5061 but this
can be easily fixed by opensips fix_nated_contact and, I'm arguing, is
a separate issue from connection management.

2. The client doesn't end up using the rport in the new Via, which
then effectively becomes 5061 and that is in fact how I found this
issue. In general though, I think the Via in this case actually
shouldn't be the external facing IP and port but rather the actual
private ip and port of where the connection is “attached” to on
Alice's client since because of “symmetric response routing” this is
not an issue (the use of rport etc) and in general, you can't really
trust the information in there anyway (which is why we have received
and rport in the first place).

However, even though the client has some issues I think that the
connection management of opensips is a separate problem but of course,
if the Client gets the Contact wrong, and it isn't being fixed by
opensips through e.g. fix_nated_contact then the “key” used to lookup
the connection for any future requests going to that client will of
course be wrong and the request will fail. Anyway, I believe that
since we are dealing with connections, the key for that connection
must be calculated off of the information representing that
connection, which a layer 7 protocol, such as SIP, does not. Hence,
they key should be local IP + local port + remote IP + remote port +
transport and this is irrespective of what it says in the SIP message
itself. Based on that philosophy, I changed the force_tcp_alias to
grab the port from the packet instead (port=msg->rcv.src_port) and
that will correctly store the connection under the correct key, which
then truly represents that connection and this will address the issue.
Again though, the Contact of the REGISTER must of course match that
but at least now, all connections will be stored correctly in the
internal map of opensips.

Does that make sense?

/Jonas