[OpenSIPS-Users] [NEW] Emergency call handling module

Evandro Villaron Franceschinelli evillaron at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 02:07:13 CET 2015

*We are proud to present the opensips emergency module.*

*Opensips: Emergency Module - Abstract*
To make as emergency call using a single code (e.g.: 911 in US or 112 in
Europe) has been a challenge for VOIP technology. This is a problem because
a crucial information is missing: the user's location and the location is
essential to route the call to the closest PSAP(call center responsible for
answering emergency calls).

This has been studied by many entities, such as the IETF, who created
several RFC on the topic, and the American NENA (National Emergency Number
Association), who devised a solution based on the concepts of the IETF. The
main elements of this solution are, LIS (Location information server ,which
is the node that determines the location of the VoIP terminal), ERDB
(servers that determines the area's emergency closest PSAP due this
location ), VPC (servers that manage the location and routing information
associated with a call) and, most importantly, the SIP PROXY that can make
routing the call according to the data sent by these servers.

The OpenSIPS can be an element in this architecture acting as a SIP proxy,
but need to meet the requirements of this solution. To provide this we have
developed the Emergency Module, which basically makes the interface with
the servers mentioned and adds the new SIP extensions that the IETF has
created for this purpose. Including only two commands and some parameters
in your configuration file, we enable OpenSIPS to be an important component
in the solution of this problem, with great potential to meet American
market or other countries that could adopt a similar architecture.

For details on usage scenarios, configuration params, etc, see the online
documentation at:
http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/emergency.html

Best regards,

Evandro/Robison