[OpenSIPS-Users] Fraud Detection module

Laszlo laszlo at voipfreak.net
Wed Feb 25 17:37:35 CET 2015

Hi Andrei,

This is a very useful module and can be a life saver. We implemented nearly
the same thing 1 year ago (actually it's a two level check) with nearly the
same logic as we see in this module.
Few more "variables" are used in the logic, like monitoring the useragent
string, monitoring the last 10/100/1000 calls to check past dialing
patterns, etc. In nowadays's nosql and caching "era" it should not be a
problem. This module is definately a good start!

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Andrei Datcu <andreidatcu at opensips.org>
wrote:

>  Hello OpenSIPS community,
>

>  When was the last time when your users were hijacked and scammed? We
> know for sure when it will be the last time - NOW! For those of you
> familiar with the major problem in the VoIP world, we have good news:
> OpenSIPS 2.1 can now detect and prevent those attacks through it’s fraud
> detection module!
>

>  Fraud is a major problem nowadays and it is more complex as it depends
> on the end-user/end-device security level. And all the VoIP providers are
> looking forward for ways to protect their users and avoid the blame.
>

>  For recognizing an attack, the Fraud Detection module defines profiles.
> A profile is a set of five parameters that together decide when an user
> account is hijacked:
>

>  * Total number of calls - maximum number of incoming calls (in a given
> time frame) before considering the accounted hijacked
>

>  * Number of calls per minute - maximum number of CPS before considering
> the user account hijacked
>

>  * Number of concurrent calls - maximum number of parallel calls the user
> can have without being considered hijacked
>

>  * Number of sequential calls - maximum number of consecutive calls to
> the same destination before the user account is considered hijacked
>

>  * Call duration - maximum duration of a call before being considered a
> potential fraud
>

>  Each user gets assigned a profile and OpenSIPS will update and evaluate
> the profile for each incoming call of that user. The Fraud Detection will
> keep trace of the user’s calls, of their parameters and how their are
> fitting into the user’s profile. Whenever a threshold for one of these
> parameters is hit, you will be noticed either through a return code or
> through an event.
>

>  A quick start tutorial is already available[1]
>

>  The module documentation can be found at[2]
>

>  Please do not hesitate to provide any feedback, comments, reports or
> questions in regards to this new module.
>

>  [1]http://www.opensips.org/Documentation/Tutorials-FraudDetection-2-1
>
> [2]http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/fraud_detection.html
>

>  Regards,
>
> Andrei Datcu