[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSips as simple frontend to Asterisk to deal with NAT

Rudy Eschauzier reschauzier at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 09:57:18 CET 2014

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for your response. I did investigate both nathelper and nat_traversal. My conclusion was that nathelper doesn't qualify per the requirements below, because it requires rtpproxy to do the nat keepalive. I probably missed something there.

With nat_traversal being the better choice (or at least thinking that that is the case), I started looking for examples, but I couldn't find any (which I thought was a little weird). I _think_ what I would need is to use $source_uri to rewrite the contact header of the REGISTER request, before forwarding it to the Asterisk box. In Asterisk I would then need to define the OpenSips server as the outbound proxy. Does that make sense?

Regards,
Rudy.

 > What I would like is the following:
 >
 > -Run OpenSips on the router
 > -Have OpenSips act as a stateless proxy, only
 forwarding and mangling messages
 > -Handle all registration requests on the Asterisk box
 > -Make sure NATed clients are kept alive &
 can be reached
 > -Avoid OpenSips database use (not to overload the
 router)
 > -Not use a RTP proxy (the public RTP ports can be
 forwarded to Asterisk, so clients can talk directly to the
 PBX)