[OpenSIPS-Users] Odd opensips REGISTER/INVITE behavior for many simultaneous users

James Tranovich james at openhorizonlabs.com
Wed May 15 00:56:05 CEST 2013

Hello all --

First, we love opensips :)

Lately, we have been running into a strange issue which seems to be related
to handling a ton of REGISTER messages. Basically, we have a test script
that tries to simulate about 50 to 100 simultaneous calls; they all
register en masse and then randomly start placing calls to another test
number (after a random time interval). Every once in a while, though, an
INVITE won't go through because opensips apparently can't find that phone
number. Oddly enough, if we do an "opensipsctl online" immediately
before/after, that command shows that, in fact, the recipient's number is
present and presumably already registered. SIP logs/ngrep tracing confirm
this.

I was wondering if this is a known bug. This behavior only happens when
registering a certain number of calls at once; if we test with a low number
of calls (10, say), this behavior does not happen. It may be that we are
spamming opensips with too many REGISTER messages (authentication is
required, so two REGISTER messages are sent, the first w/o auth, the second
with auth). But I don't see why opensips should have problems with this.

Any thoughts on this? Is this a known issue already? (Searching for this
issue didn't yield much). Thanks!

James