[OpenSIPS-Users] [RFC] migration to GIT

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Mon Feb 18 17:20:23 CET 2013

Hi Bogdan,

On Feb 18, 2013, at 5:05 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to get some suggestions and help on the matter of migrating the code repository from SVN to GIT - the fact that such migration will bring value is for sure :)

I'm glad to see this happening. Count me in for helping as much as I can.

> What things need to be sorted out when moving to GIT:

First question: would it be a self-hosted Git repository or the GitHub service?

If GitHub is chosen it already provides this, so there is nothing to be done: https://github.com/blog/1178-collaborating-on-github-with-subversion

> 2) about the hooks in GIT - we have now the scripts for sending email on each SVN commits - some help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

I don't know myself, but shouldn't be too hard to do.

> 3) we are heavily using the SVN keywords (%id%, etc) - is there a way to keep something similar in GIT ?

Ditto. Also, we should keep the svn authors mapped to git authors where possible.

> I will appreciate any help from any GIT "expert" around here, just to be sure we get the things in the right way from the beginning :).

Not a git super expert, but I have maintained a unofficial OpenSIPS repo for a while: https://github.com/saghul/OpenSIPS

Since I'm here, let me elaborate on why I think moving to GitHub is a good idea:

- Pull requests.

That's it. Pull requests are the perfect way to collaborate with the project. Only people who actively contribute need commit rights, the rest can send a pull request with their changes just fine. Inline commenting is awesome, it's a very good way to iterate on a bugfix without sending diffs left and right, making code reviews very simple.

GitHub also has an issue tracker, so existing issues can be migrated there. This would also help remove all sorts of old issues that have piled up over time ;-)

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects