[OpenSIPS-Users] What to do when one user agent leaves suddenly?

microx acmicrox at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 04:26:39 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I have one issue that may not be related to OpenSIPS. Suppose two user
agents are having a video call with each other (RTP proxy is serving as
packet relay). One of the two user agents suddenly leaves without sending a
BYE request owing to some factors (such as network disconnection). In such a
case, should a SIP server terminate the dialog by sending a BYE request if
the other user agent does not hang up the video call on his/her own? Or a
SIP server does not need to do anything and just waits for the other user
agent to end the call on his/her own?

My two questions about this issue are
1) Any SIP-related RFC mentions anything about this issue?
2) If the SIP server has to terminate the dialog, what mechanism is
appropriate? I know that create_dialog("Pp")/create_dialog("B") may be
helpful for this issue, but I am looking for a better solution.

Any suggestion or comment is very welcome. Many thanks.

Best wishes,
Chen-Che