[OpenSIPS-Users] [OpenSIPS-Devel] [RFC] New Release Policy for OpenSIPS project

Ryan Bullock rrb3942 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 18:24:13 CET 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at opensips.org>wrote:

> **
> Hi Ali,
>
> Thanks for feedback - regarding the support for previous releases, Saul
> raised the same point as you, and I have to admit I didn't do the math - 2
> release ~= 1 year, which indeed is too short - I mean this will force an
> upgrade each year.
>
> So, we need to somehow get to ~ 2 year lifetime for a release. My
> suggestion is to actually set a life span for 2 years.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> OpenSIPS Founder and Developerhttp://www.opensips-solutions.com
>
> What about adding a long term support branch that is released every two
years and supported for 2 years, and then a release every 6 months for
'standard' releases. Each standard release would be supported for 1 year.

Something like this, assuming 1.10 is the first long term support:
1.10 - Long term support (2 years)
1.11 - Standard release (1 year)
1.12 - Standard release (1 year)
1.13 - Standard release (1 year)
1.14 - Long term support (2 years)

Those wanting new features can go for the standard releases, and those
looking for stability and better support can stick with the long term
support releases. It should strike a decent balance between getting
features out the door and support.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Ryan