[OpenSIPS-Users] RTPProxy on virtual machine

Jeff Pyle jpyle at fidelityvoice.com
Sat Nov 17 15:33:57 CET 2012

I have an application in use today with rtpproxy inside a VMWare 5 pod
on Debian Squeeze 32-bit as the guest OS.  It works well, but there does
seem to be a heavy "virtualization penalty" compared to running on bare
metal, or perhaps even Xen.

Each core of our VMWare pod is a "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 0 @
2.20GHz" so says to /proc/cpuinfo.  Each G711 call occupies about 22 MHz
of CPU according to the vCenter stats over time.  We tried jiggling
every handle VMWare has to see if we could squeak more efficiency, and
this was the best we could come up with.  We had started with a 64-bit
guest but the efficiency was the same and RAM consumption was higher.

I also run rtpproxy on an embedded AMD Geode platform (Alix).  Here the
consumption is about 11 MHz per G711 call.  Interesting, eh?

I suspect rtpproxy would be more efficient in a fully paravirtualized
Xen environment.  It seems the linux kernel understands more about its
situation as a guest inside Xen, and hopefully that would boost the
interrupt handling performance.

Regardless of the hypervisor rtpproxy seems to do just fine.  In our
VMWare-based one I did spawn multiple rtpproxy processes to match the
number of virtual cores I had assigned to the guest.  This gives an
obvious maximum throughput boost, and I'm hoping it also allows the
hypervisor to spread the guest's load a bit more smoothly.  But I
suppose it's just as likely I'm full of it there.  Either way, it seems
to work well.

- Jeff