[OpenSIPS-Users] Need Help on Handling REFER Messages

Dinusha Kannangara dinusha.kannangara at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 17:44:22 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I currently have my opensips configured with a rtpproxy and uses the
nathelper module and everything seem to be working fine.

Now, I have a new requirement where my opensips should have to handle REFER
messages generated from a media server and I'm not sure what I should do.

I've seen that b2bua module is capable of this and I also had a look at the
example done on opensips.org.

Here's my scenario,

User1(softphone) calls opensips server and opensips do load balancing and
redirect the call to a Media Server. Then, Media Server will send a REFER
message to opensips specifying a refer-to User2(another softphone) and the
media server should remove itself from the call and let User1 and User2
connect to each other through opensips.

Here are my questions :

1) The rtpproxy module re-writes SDP and how does this affect if I use
b2bua module to handle REFER messages ?
2) Will the work done by nathelper and rtpproxy be undone if I call
b2b_init_request on the initial INVITE ?
3) Do I have to have a separate IP for b2bua server or is it ok to run it
on the same ip which the opensips is running ?
4) I have seen some people block the INVITE's coming from b2bua server IP
at initial INVITE.. do I have to do this too ?

Thank You, :)

Regards,
Dinusha.