[OpenSIPS-Users] opensips qos

Jeff Pyle jpyle at fidelityvoice.com
Fri Dec 14 15:50:19 CET 2012

Nick,

When people inquire about "VoIP quality" that usually means voice quality.
 As Bogdan indicated this is outside Opensips' influence.

In most cases you'll want to make sure RTP media is marked with Diffserv
EF.  This allows the routers on a suitably configured network to identify
the voice traffic in a standards-compliant way and prioritize it ahead of
other, less time sensitive traffic.  In my Opensips configurations I use
"tos=0x68" to set my SIP packets to a Diffserv value of AF31.

Exactly how priority queueing is achieved on a network device is entirely
dependent upon the network device.  Cisco will look very different from
Juniper which is completely different than Linux 'tc', etc.

True end-to-end guaranteed QoS requires that you control the network from
one end all the way to the other.  Or, at the very least, it requires that
you subscribe to services from carriers that include queueing and
prioritization in a way that is compatible with your traffic.  Turning this
around, there is no way to guarantee QoS across the internet, although
there are things you can do locally to help the cause, so to speak.  This
amounts to local traffic shaping and queueing mostly.

In summary, VoIP quality is more a function of the network and less a
function of any application or device running on the network.

- Jeff