[OpenSIPS-Users] Relaying instant messages to all UAs on same account

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Sat Sep 10 10:39:54 CEST 2011

SIP signaling was not designed to accommodate such advanced scenarios. No matter how much you try you will fail making a coherent chat system using a limited tool like MESSAGE method which has no way to group messages part of a dialog, messages can be lost or they come out of logical sequence, the message size is subject to fragmentation in intermediaries, there is no way to reject or accept them, there is no meaningful way to confirm receipt, they fork to all devices, it is simply a big mess.

For chat sessions with SIP you should use MSRP protocol (RFC 4975) where things just work including multi-party conferencing.

Adrian