[OpenSIPS-Users] Multiple media relays on one server

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Wed Oct 19 19:26:34 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Oct 19, 2011, at 7:16 PM, JimDoesVoip wrote:

> Hi Saúl,
>
> Thanks for the detailed reply.  Perhaps only to get the idea of running more
> than one media relay /server out of my system:
>
> Is there any reason (performance gain / resiliency / other?) to run 2
> different instances of media-relay on an individual server, each connecting
> to different/independent dispatchers?  I assume the two relay processes here
> could share a single IP because they aren't connecting to the same
> dispatcher?

No, there is no reason to do that unless you'd want different IP addresses for relaying the traffic. A single relay may connect to any amount of dispatchers, so, for resilience, you can make those 2 relays connect simultaneously to the 2 dispatchers.

> Sad to say that I'm disappointed that I won't be using those extra cores :)
> Perhaps it speaks to the elegance of the mediaproxy implementation.

Actually I think you will. We pass the control to the Linux kernel, so it's up to her to sue those cores. It's an iptables thing, so I guess it uses multiple cores, but I can't say with 100% certainty.

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects