[OpenSIPS-Users] Multiple media relays on one server

JimDoesVoip jobrien at counterpath.com
Wed Oct 19 16:08:27 CEST 2011

Hi All,
  I have the impression (perhaps wrong) that we can run multiple media-relay
processes on a single server and have them connect to the same media
dispatcher(s).  I also have the perception that media-relay not
multi-threaded.  Searched the mail list and didn't find indications that
anyone was doing this.  Here are more details of what we are attempting:

The scenario is that we have 4 bare metal servers running centOS 6.  Two of
these servers are running openSIPS and media-dispatcher processes.  We are
using mediaproxy 2.5.2.  To take advantage of the multiple cores [each
server has 4 cores] we'd like to run about the same number of media relay
processes on the servers that aren't running openSIPS.  Each of the
media-relay processes would connect to both dispatchers to have things be as
flexible / resilient as possible.

We are able to start multiple media-relays, run out of different
directories, with different media port ranges on a single server using the
--pid option.  When doing this, and connecting 2 of these media-relays to
the same media-dispatcher we see errors in the logs that indicate that the
media-relays are being disconnected and reconnected.  We are attempting to
run the media-relays on the same IP address (well.. the media relays that
are on the same server).  Do the media relays connecting to a particular
dispatcher need their own IP address?  Do we need to run the media-relays on
different IP addresses on the servers?

The logs are really hinting to us that the dispatcher identifies the relays
only by their IP address.  Here is a sample of the messages we are seeing (2
relays and 1 dispatcher running on a single server as a test):

Oct 19 09:52:34 bstnma-osips1-b1 media-dispatcher[31150]: warning: Relay at
10.128.66.75 reconnected, closing old connection
Oct 19 09:52:34 bstnma-osips1-b1 media-dispatcher[31150]: warning: Old
connection with relay at 10.128.66.75 was lost
Oct 19 09:52:34 bstnma-osips1-b1 media-relay[31129]: error: Connection with
dispatcher at 10.128.66.75:25060 was lost: A TLS packet with unexpected
length was received.
Oct 19 09:52:36 bstnma-osips1-b1 media-dispatcher[31150]: warning: Relay at
10.128.66.75 reconnected, closing old connection
Oct 19 09:52:36 bstnma-osips1-b1 media-dispatcher[31150]: warning: Old
connection with relay at 10.128.66.75 was lost
Oct 19 09:52:36 bstnma-osips1-b1 media-relay[31140]: error: Connection with
dispatcher at 10.128.66.75:25060 was lost: A TLS packet with unexpected
length was received.

Thanks,

Jim O