[OpenSIPS-Users] how to check if callee is actually alive

Michele Marchetto mydecay at openbeer.it
Wed May 25 14:11:15 CEST 2011

hi,
	my situation is as follow. I have a stateful opensips that handle
registrations and balancing and a cluster of asterisk servers
responsible to handle the media and other stuff.

The problem arises when a user calls another one who has gone offline.
The caller has to wait the timeout to expires before the call hangs up.
Is there a way to ping the callee (from opensips) to check if he is
actually online or not and promptly react in both cases?

I don't want to count on the location table to see if a user is actually
online because the reregisteration timer could be too high. Forcing the
reregister timer to a lower value would cause a (unneeded) network load
overhead.

Advices are appreciated.